Sunday, November 17, 2013

More food in NICU 2

Now that we have been here for so long, we have definitely developed a comfortable daily routine.  Rex and I typically come up to the hospital for a few hours each morning (7:30 to 11am) then my mom comes up (11 to 2) while we go back to the apartment to eat or rest.  At about 2 we return and stay until shift change at 7 and then my mom comes back from 7:30pm to 11pm.  It is a long day, but I really think that our being there with her so often played a huge role in her surprisingly quick recovery.  Even when she was sedated on ECMO we would spend all day every day talking to her about home, reading to her, and playing YouTube videos or music for her.  Sometimes she would even FaceTime with family members who couldn't be here!  This routine has been great and allowed us all to spend a great deal of time with her, while also having some downtime away from the hospital beeps, monitors, and stress.

That being said, now that she is breastfeeding (and my mom is going home tomorrow) our scheduled routine has been forced to change.  We started out nursing/bottle feeding with scheduled feedings every three hours (8, 11, 2, and 5...am and pm).  However, even though she was keeping everything down, she wasn't gaining weight.  She should gain about 30 grams a day, but she was only gaining 1 to 3 grams.

After a couple frustrating days of trying to get her on their schedule, she was still having very little weight gain.  The nurse practitioner decided that I should begin nursing on demand.  I was so happy to hear this plan because I knew it would be better for Makenna and I to fall into our own natural routine; however, for now on demand feeding is proving to be difficult.  It is hard to do on demand feeding when you don't live with your baby just yet!  I think in order to truly make it work I will literally need to move into the NICU!  But bottles are a great invention and we are taking full advantage of them at night!  This new method seems to be working wonders!  The first day I spent 11 hours in the NICU feeding roughly every two hours on demand and I'm happy to report that she gained 26 grams!  The next day we did the same and she gained 55 grams!

Now that we have figured out the secret to successful weight gain, I know it won't be long before we go home!  In fact, they lowered her oxygen to 100 on the 14th and moved her to the NICU 2.  This is the step down unit designed for babies who need less intensive care or are about ready to leave.  This unit is much more noisy because the babies here aren't ventilated (they can cry).  Most of them were born premature or had surgery and simply need more time to get big enough to go home.  There are also more babies closer together and the nurses each care for 4 babies instead of just 2.  I must say I miss our quiet semi-private room, but I am so excited that this means she is getting better!

In preparation for discharge she also had an echocardiogram, lung x-rays, a hearing test, and an MRI of her brain.   I know these are just standard tests used to gain a full picture of her CDH and how her body responded to treatment, but it is still a littlr nerve-wrecking!  Before going on ECMO her o2 stats did dropped into the 40's and it happened again during surgery, so that coupled with the fact she was on ECMO for 9 days puts her more at risk for brain, hearing, vision, lung, and heart damage.  This makes me a little nervous for the results; however, she looks amazing, so I am not too worried.  We should meet with the pediatric surgeons and their team sometime this week to get official reports of their findings and discuss her needs for home.

Other than that Makenna, Rex, and I will just be hanging out in NICU 2 watching her eat up a storm for the next few days!  It won't be long now!

1 comment:

  1. HI! I had written earlier as a parent to a Shands/Dr. Kays R-CDH survivor! I just got caught up on all the progress and I just wanted to say, your daughter is a rock star!!!!! So happy for you all! My Dakota went home without a feeding tube but it was only after a month of struggling to get her to eat! Each bottle took 45 minutes and sometimes she would take the full feed and a lot of times she wouldn't. I had to try every technique in the book along with every technique every single nurse taught me to get her to eat (positioning, different nipples, stroking her cheeks, singing, rocking ... everything!!!). She had reflux, but not quite enough to make us have to get the Nissen and G-Tube (Thank God! I really didn't want that for her if I could avoid it), so we managed it with medication that she was completely weened off of by 7 months! Finally, after a month, we got to do a trial where I stayed over in NICU II and we pulled the tube from Dakota's nose and then fed her on demand for 48 hours. She gained weight ... barely ... and they let us out of there by the skin of our teeth! I remember flagging Dr. Kays down in the Cafeteria after the trial .... he came accross to us and said "So I hear your baby gained like 11 grams a day and now you want to go home!" He laughed but then said that he agreed that it was time and that we would just have to continue to work really hard to make sure she took enough to continue to gain weight. And we did ... we worked really, REALLY hard those first few months! But we got home!!!
    That is so awesome that Makenna likes to breast feed!!!!! I am so happy to read of all of Makenna's success and progress! I know you guys are in the most awesome place in the world that a CDH baby can be!!! Big hugs and prayers for continued progress and health and a safe trip home!!!!! Please email me if I can ever help in any way.
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor
    jennifertrafton@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete