Saturday, September 7, 2013

More tests!

Wow, what a day!

After a 5 hour drive, we finally arrived in Gainesville around 9pm.  We woke up at 5am their time (4am our time) and had an MRI at 6am.  As we waited I could feel Makenna flipping and dancing around.  Normally I love this feeling, but this morning I was just praying she would go to sleep.  They said the length of the MRI depends on how still the baby is, I really didn't want to expose her body to the magnetic fields any longer than necessary.  After an hour of waiting and worrying it was time for the MRI to begin.  I've never had an MRI before and expected it to be kind of scary...but it was actually very easy and really cool!  They also let Rex come into the room with me-- I couldn't see him because it was a closed MRI, but knowing he was there made me a lot more relaxed.  We both laid very still for about 5-8 minutes, but then I think she started getting annoyed by the loud noises and beeps because she started moving around like crazy!  Thankfully after about 10-15 minutes total they said we were done. 

32 Weeks!
Next appointment was another level 2 ultrasound.  The tech was incredible and very thorough.  She was willing to talk us through everything she saw and answer all of our questions!  She was also very impressed by my ability to identify most of the gray blobs on the screen, proof  that I've had a *ton* of ultrasounds.  She took pictures for about 45 minutes and then another tech came in.  He looked around and took pictures for about 20 minutes and then the high-risk doctor came in and did the same.   By this time they were all 3 in the room and were working together to get Makenna's lung-to-head ratio as accurately as they could (the lung to head ratio is supposed to help identify the chance of survival). 

After the tests were over, it was time for my third appointment of the day -- first high-risk OB appointment in Gainesville.  At this appointment we just discussed medical history and I became established as a patient of Shands.  Pretty non-eventful.  Although they did say that due to the CDH I am at a higher risk of preeclampsia.  I am pretty confident that won't be the case since the doctors are always impressed with my blood pressure numbers (around 96/64 or 112/70), but good to know they will be watching for it anyway.

After these appointments we went back to the hotel to rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment